The County Recorder was the first office created by the Constitution of the State of Indiana in 1816. The Recorder is a member of the County Commission on Public Records, which has authority over the preservation or disposition of all public records maintained by the County. (Indiana Code 5-15-6)
What We Do
- By State Statute, the County Recorder maintains and preserves all legal documents affecting title to real property. Any instrument submitted for recording, providing it meets essential requirements, are recorded. These records are the legal basis for determining ownership of real property.
Accessing records online: Online documents can be viewed from January 2003 to present on DoxPop. Residents get six free searches per month, and businesses pay a subscription fee based upon usage. Directions for use of the DoxPop service can be found in the comprehensive help section on their website at www.doxpop.com
Property watch fraud alerts: We have set up a property watch fraud alert system free for Martin County residents. The service allows you to receive alerts whenever your name or property information is entered on a new recorded document.
Submitting documents: The Martin County Recorder’s Office accepts E-recording of select document types through the following submitters.
P: (800) 460-5657
P: (866) 652-0111
Fees for filing documents: A self-addressed stamped envelope sufficient to hold your documents must be supplied for the return of documents. Fees are applied as follows:
- Mortgages – $55 (Includes rerecorded and subordinate mortgages, supplemental indentures)
- Deeds and other documents – $25 (Each additional page exceeding 8-1/2″ to 14″ within any document – $5)
- Mechanics Lien
- With one first-class mailing – $25
- Each additional mailing – $2
- Multiple Transaction Documents – $25 (Includes the first cross reference; each additional cross reference – $7 Assignments of Oil and Gas only)
- Copies 11″ x 17″ or smaller, per page – $1
- Copies larger than 11″ x 17″, per page – $5
- Certifying – $5
- Uniform Commercial Code Liens
- Initial filing or amendments, 2 pages or less – $6
- 3 pages or more – $10
- UCC Request
- One name – $7.00
- Each additional name – $5 .00
Filing a sole proprietorship and general partnership: Under Indiana Code 23-15-1-1, a Sole Proprietorship and General Partnership must file a Certificate of Assumed Business Name with the County Recorder of each county in which it has a place of business. For more information on starting a business, please contact the Indiana Secretary of State’s Office.
Document rejections: There are several reasons you why your document might be rejected:
- All documents must be legible.
- Names not appearing the same throughout the document. Name of each person who executed the instrument must appear identically in the body of the instrument, in the acknowledgement or jurat, in his signature, and beneath his signature, I.C. 36-2-11-16.
- Prepared by statement missing. Must have the company and/or name of the person that prepared the document.
- Incorrect recording fees.
- The check to record a document made out incorrectly, must be made out to the Martin County Recorder.
- Cross-reference number (or book and page number) to original document missing.
- Signature missing or is not an original signature.
- Legal description missing or is incomplete.
- Document instrument number of a Power of Attorney must be listed on a document that is being recorded and signed by an attorney-in-fact.
- Notary information missing or incomplete. (Example: County of residence or commission expiration date missing)
- Real estate is not in Martin County.
- Auditor’s stamp is missing. Only required on certain document types.
- Recording of court documents must have the judge’s signature and be filed-stamped by the Clerk.
Missing the Affirmation Statement. Which should read: “I affirm, under the penalties for perjury, that I have taken reasonable care to redact each social security number in this document, unless required by law.” Name:_____________
Rhonda Sanders, Martin County Recorder
129 Main Street / PO Box 147
Shoals, IN 47581
P: (812) 247-2420
Hours: M-F 8am-4pm
Sheri Crandall, Deputy Recorder