Skip links

Main navigation


Clerk is an elected official who performs as an officer of the court, the manager of court.

What We Do

  • Administers official court records of all court cases
  • Collects, distributes and reconciles monies related to court cases
  • Administers all federal, state, county, municipal and special elections

Election locations and registration: You may register to vote by coming in to our office and filling out a Voter Registration Form or by going to

Voting locations: 
Perry 1, 2, 3, 4 & 6
Saint John’s Center
408 Church Street
Loogootee, IN  47553

Perry 5 & Rutherford
Saint Martin’s Church Hall
524 Whitfield Road
Loogootee, IN  47553

Perry 7 & Crane
Bramble Conservation Center
1024 Bramble Road
Loogootee, IN 47553

North Center & Mitcheltree
Dover Hill Church of Christ
15581 North State Road 450
Shoals, IN 47581

N Halbert, Southeast Halbert, South Halbert, Lost River, South Center, East Memphis & West Memphis
Saint Mary’s Church Hall
128 High Street
Shoals, IN 47581

Forms & Applications

The clerk’s office has the following forms available:

  • Lost Title Forms (can also be found via the BMV)
  • Small Estate Affidavit form
  • Petition for Adult Name Change
  • Petition for Child Name Change
  • Divorce Fee Waiver
  • Fee Waiver (non-divorce)
  • Petition for Protection Order Adult
  • Petition for Protection Order Child
  • Protection Order Modification
  • Protection Order Motion to Reinstate
  • Protection Order Dismissal
  • Protection Order Request for Hearing
  • Protection Order Extension
  • Protection Order Contempt Petition
  • Small Claims Forms and instructions
  • Small Claims plus Eviction
  • Small Claims Proceedings Supplemental
  • Small Claims Satisfaction of Judgment
  • Divorce without Children and without Agreement
  • Divorce without Children and with Agreement
  • Divorce with Children and without Agreement
  • Divorce with Children and with Agreement
  • Some forms can also be accessed at the following link:

Filing fees: The following fees are required to file documents with the clerk’s office:

  • Civil Cases: $157
  • Divorce: $177
  • Small Claims: $97 ($87 when E-Filed)
  • Estates: $177
  • Guardianship: $177
  • Paternity: $196
  • Sheriff’s Service: $28
  • Post Judgment Sheriff’s Service: $28
  • Additional Defendants: $10 (for Proceedings Supplemental, etc)
  • Copies: $1/page
  • Certification: $1/each
  • Hardship License:$157

All Civil and Small Claim Judgments may be paid in person, by mail or online at

Tickets: Tickets may be paid as follows:

  • In person with cash, money order, cashier’s check, credit card with a matching picture ID
  • By mail with money order, cashier’s check, or business check
  • Online at

Please contact Martin County Prosecutor concerning Pre-Trial Deferral at (812) 247-3500.

Child support: Child support payments can be made in person at the clerk’s office with cash or you may make payment in one of the following ways:

  • Indiana State Central Collection Unit (Check, Money Order, Cashier’s Check)
    PO Box 7130
    Indianapolis, In 46207-7130
  • Online at
  • By Phone by calling 855-972-9427

For additional information you can also go to:

Finding an attorney: Visit

Marriage licenses: Both applicants must apply for their license in person at the same time. Indiana residents must obtain a marriage license in the county in which at least ONE of them resides. This will allow you to be married anywhere in Indiana (I.C. 31-11-4-3). Applicants ages 18 or older must provide one of the following forms of ID at the time of the application to show proof of age:

  • Driver’s license
  • Current state-issued ID card
  • Birth certificate
  • Passport
  • Military ID

Applicants under the age of 18 must be accompanied by both parents (with ID) or in case of death or divorce, a custodial parent to sign consent (I.C. 31-11-4-6).

If either applicant has been married previously, the license application requires information regarding how it ended and the date (mm/dd/year) it ended. It also requires applicants’ parents’ current address, maiden or previous names and state of birth. Applicants will also need their children’s full names and birthdates.

You may fill out most of the application before coming in to the Clerk’s office or we can help when you arrive.

If you are from out of state, you will want to apply for your license in the Indiana County you intend to be married in.

Marriage license fees are as follows:

  • $20 for Indiana residents
  • $60 for out of state

Martin County Clerk Staff

Gerald Montgomery, Clerk
P: (812) 247-3651

Julie Fithian, Deputy
Becky Sellers, Deputy
Penny Waggoner, Deputy
Amanda Pennington, PT Clerical

Contact Us

Martin County Clerk’s Office
129 Main Street / PO Box 120
Shoals, IN 47581
P: (812) 247-3651
F: (812) 247-2791
Hours: M-F 8am-4pm